The Civil War was on ABC this weekend. Man, I hope it was just regional coverage and not national. Hate to think that the whole country might have seen that debacle. What a rotten season. 3-9 record. No bowl game. Again. Guess we can go back to being a Basketball Schooltm. Again. We're 5-1 so far at hoops, with the only loss on the road against Vandy. And even that was due only to a lucky last-second shot. Hasn't been this much excitement around the b-ball program since the mid-'90s. We were (quietly) one of the winningest teams for decades, from the '40s through the '80s. Almost always ranked, almost always going to the tourney. Then Gary Payton graduated and things got sketchy for a couple seasons. Things were looking up in the mid-'90s, but then all in one off-season one kid blew out his knee, another kid dropped dead from a sudden heart condition, another kid transferred out, another sophomore kid went pro, and another kid went to prison for armed robbery - that moron called Domino's to have a pizza delivered to his own house, and then drew a gun on the delivery guy and took the pizza without paying for it. Wow. The entire starting 5 gone just like that. And we've pretty much sucked every year since. Until now. Whooo!
Some interesting comments in the Newt post from the other day. But I stick to my previous position: he doesn't deserve the presidency. Egads! innominatus is a closet Obamaphile! Umm, no...
- Mitt Romney - Not very conservative. Flip-flops on major issues. Weird name. A mechanized automaton without the "personality chip" upgrade. RomneyCare. Doesn't deserve the presidency.
- Herman Cain - Great guy. Gives an outstanding speech. But... Except for 999, can't define his policy postions worth a pthbthbth. Listening to him try is like a blind guy trying to find his own azz on a map of Tuscon using Google Street View and a telescope. Doesn't deserve the presidency. Addendum: Just saw this at Hot Air:
Rather, this appears to be an accusation of private, alleged consensual conduct between adults – a subject matter which is not a proper subject of inquiry by the media or the public. No individual, whether a private citizen, a candidate for public office or a public official, should be questioned about his or her private sexual life. The public’s right to know and the media’s right to report has boundaries and most certainly those boundaries end outside of one’s bedroom door.Dude, if that's the best your own lawyer can say about your "long affair" then please just endorse somebody who isn't a sexweasel and then quietly go away.
- Newt Gingrich - I dig the acerbic personality and the brains. But... Has a lot of baggage, and isn't that conservative. C'mon! Flamin' Denny Hastert (spit) has a more conservative voting record than Newt! Like I said before, doesn't deserve the presidency.
- Michele Bachman - I like her. But... she bet the farm on Gardisil and lost. Little evidence that she can actually run anything. Deserves some credit and a promotion, but doesn't deserve the presidency.
- Rick Perry - I like him and hope he rallies back into the top tier. But... He debates like a constipated goat on quaaludes. Cronyism accusations hard to shake. Probably doesn't deserve the presidency.
- Ron Paul - Dead-nuts-right-on on about half the issues. But... Doublepluskooky on the other half of the issues. If we could just take the "good half" and exile the other half to the Phantom Zone, he'd be a winner. Until we master that technology, he doesn't deserve the presidency.
- John Huntsman - Who?
We have a bunch of bad choices for the GOP nomination. On the other hand, the Democrats have only one horrible choice.--------------------
True story - Thought for sure I was going to end up in a fistfight. Sunday at 6:10 AM I was at my early grunt-work restaurant job, taking some trash out to the dumpster. Next thing I know, some psycho gets REALLY P*SSED and ALL UP IN MY FACE about the Chevron station next door not being open yet. When I tell him that I don't work there and can't help him, he gets all puffed up and starts giving me the "Whaddya scared of?" crap. (My only fear was that his stupid might be contagious.) So I took off (in the most manly and threatening way possible, of course) my stupid gimpy little polyethylene food-handling gloves. Clearly this intimidated the heck out of psycho-boy, as he backed off and got back in his truck while yelling f-bombs about how he had no gas to get to work.